- Registry Manager: Jönköping County Council
- Registry Centre - affiliation: Uppsala Clinical Research Center (UCR)
- Start year: 2005
- Classifications used: KVÅ, ICD10
- This registry contains data on: Pharmaceuticals, Diagnoses, Intervention, Inpatient Care, PROM or other patient-reported health effects, Risk Factors, Follow-up Data 6-11 months after the case is registered in the registry
Description of registry
GallRiks is a national quality registry for gallstone surgery and ERCP.
The aims of the registry are to:
- contribute to more uniform and evidence-based management of gallstone disease with regard to surgical indication and choice of surgical technique.
- identify patient benefits of treatment for gallstones
- enable early detection of unanticipated adverse effects of new methods for the treatment of gallstones when they are implemented in routine healthcare
- support local quality assurance efforts for gallstone surgery
- contribute to increased knowledge on gallstone disease and its treatment
The registry was established in 2005 with support from the National Board of Health and Welfare, the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, the Jönköping County Council and the Swedish Surgical Society. The steering committee includes representatives from the Swedish Surgical Society (SKF), the Swedish Society for Innovative Surgical Technology (SIKT), and the Swedish Society for Upper Abdominal Surgery (SFÖAK).
GallRiks is an intervention registry in which gallstone operations and ERCP are registered. The registry has a good coverage rate of over 90 percent. There are currently about 60,000 cholecystectomies and nearly 40,000 ERCP registered in the database. A number of research projects using data from GallRiks are being conducted and are reported on GallRik’s website.
The GallRiks registry collects information on surgical interventions, and the registry includes all patients who have had cholecystectomies (laparoscopic or open) or endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). About 12,000 cholecystectomies and 7,500 ERCP are registered on an annual basis.
Ages in the registry
Total volume of registry
From 2005-2011, 63,685 cholecystectomies and 37,860 ERCP examinations were registered. The database thus comprised more than 100,000 examinations during this period.
Volume over the past operating year
In 2011, 11,828 cholecystectomies and 7,545 ERCP were registered with complete 30-day follow-ups.
Around 90 percent.
References on validations
Note: Variable lists are updated on a regular basis and should therefore be seen as preliminary. For the latest version, please contact the registry.
- Swahn F, Nilsson M, Arnelo U, Lohr M, Persson G, Enochsson L. Rendezvous Cannulation Technique Reduces Post-ERCP Pancreatitis: A Prospective Nationwide Study of 12,718 ERCP Procedures. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013 Feb 19. PubMed PMID: 23419386.
- Enochsson L, Thulin A, Osterberg J, Sandblom G, Persson G. The Swedish Registry of Gallstone Surgery and Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (GallRiks): A Nationwide Registry for Quality Assurance of Gallstone Surgery. JAMA surgery. 2013 Jan 16:1-8. PubMed PMID: 23325144.
- Tornqvist B, Stromberg C, Persson G, Nilsson M. Effect of intended intraoperative cholangiography and early detection of bile duct injury on survival after cholecystectomy: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2012;345:e6457. PubMed PMID: 23060654. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3469410. Epub 2012/10/13. eng.
- Persson G, Stromberg J, Svennblad B, Sandblom G. Risk of bleeding associated with use of systemic thromboembolic prophylaxis during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The British Journal of Surgery. 2012 Jul;99(7):979-86. PubMed PMID: 22628016. Epub 2012/05/26. eng.
- Palsson SH, Rasmussen I, Lundstrom P, Osterberg J, Sandblom G. Registration of health-related quality of life in a cohort of patients undergoing cholecystectomy. ISRN gastroenterology. 2011;2011:507389. PubMed PMID: 21991514. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3168850. Epub 2011/10/13. eng.
- Lundstrom P, Sandblom G, Osterberg J, Svennblad B, Persson G. Effectiveness of prophylactic antibiotics in a population-based cohort of patients undergoing planned cholecystectomy. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery : official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 2010 Feb;14(2):329-34. PubMed PMID: 19902314. Epub 2009/11/11. eng.
- Enochsson L, Swahn F, Arnelo U, Nilsson M, Lohr M, Persson G. Nationwide, population-based data from 11,074 ERCP procedures from the Swedish Registry for Gallstone Surgery and ERCP. Gastrointestinal endoscopy. 2010 Dec;72(6):1175-84, 84 e1-3. PubMed PMID: 20970787. Epub 2010/10/26. eng.