- Registry Manager: Västra Götaland County Council
- Registry Centre - affiliation: Registry Centre North, RCN
- Start year: 1992
- Classifications used: ICD10
- This registry contains data on: Diagnoses, Interventions, Inpatient Care, Specialised Outpatient Care, PROM or other patient-reported health effects, Follow-up Data 12 months or later after the case is registered in the registry
Description of registry
Purpose and objectives:
- Monitor developments in Swedish inguinal hernia surgery concerning surgical methods, waiting times, type of care and outcome.
- Create a reliable basis for local evaluation of treatment results.
- Enable joint studies of an epidemiological or prospective randomised nature.
All adults from 15 years of age or older with diagnosed inguinal or femoral hernia.
Ages in the registry
Age 15 and up.
Total volume of registry
From its start in 1992 to December 2012, a total of 238,287 operations were registered in the Swedish Hernia Registry.
Volume over the past operating year
In 2018, a total of 15 898 hernia operations were registered, broken down as follows:
- Primary hernia: 14 512 (91,3 percent).
- Surgery for recurrence: 1 386 (8,7 percent).
- Operation for chronic pain or mesh infection: 0 (0 percent).
- Acute hernia surgery: 783 (4,9 percent).
- Elective surgeries: 15 115 (95,1 percent).
- Outpatient surgery: 12 532 (78,8 percent)
- Hospitalisation at least one night: 3 366 (21,2 percent).
About 98 percent.
References on validations
Several validation studies have been conducted. The results have been published internally but not publically. A hernia-specific questionnaire on pain, IPQ, has been validated and published.
- Fränneby U, Nordin P, Sandblom G, Nyren O, Gunnarsson U. Validation of the Hernia Pain Questionnaire; new instrument for chronic pain after operative treatment of inguinal hernia. Br J Surg. April 2008
Note: Variable lists are updated on a regular basis and should therefore be seen as preliminary. For the latest version, please contact the registry.