- Registry Manager: Region Skåne
- Registry Centre - affiliation: Regional Cancer Centre North
- Start year: 2006
- Classifications used: ICD10
- This registry contains data on: Diagnoses, Interventions, PROM or other patient-reported health effects, Risk Factors
Description of registry
This registry is intended to support local improvement initiatives and describe developments in the relevant diagnosis areas with respect to treatment and complications, and provide data for analysis and clinical research, including quality of life and health economics.
Content: Investigation and treatment decisions are registered for all patients. For resectional surgery, surgery data is registered immediately at the time of the procedure, and complications, survival and PAD are registered after one month. Oncological treatment is registered annually after treatment is given. One year after the date of diagnosis, all patients are asked to fill in a form on quality of life and a form for the health economics situation.
- To achieve a nationwide registry for oesophageal and stomach cancer in Sweden. Rarer forms of tumours such as lymphoma, sarcoma, GIST, malignant melanoma and carcinoids are excluded.
- To register, for the diagnoses of oesophageal and stomach cancer, all resectional surgery, oncologic treatment and certain palliative measures.
- To register complications, survival and quality of life.
- To perform health economics analyses and facilitate research in the area.
The registry also contains data on waiting times from diagnosis to treatment decision and waiting times from treatment decision to surgical or oncologic measures; whether the treatment decision was made in multidisciplinary consultation or by a single physician; care duration; 30-day mortality; complications; long-term survival and quality of life.
Only newly diagnosed cases with tumours in the oesophagus and stomach. This applies regardless of treatment. Cases of severe dysplasia (cancer in situ). Patients who do not receive treatment. Patients examined abroad but treated in Sweden.
Ages in the registry
Total volume of registry
8,323 patients and 8,379 procedures.
Volume over the past operating year
877 patients and 879 procedures for patients diagnosed in 2012.
Cancer registrations which also have diagnostic data in the register:
- Oesophagus: 2006: 90 percent, 2007: 94 percent, 2008: 97 percent, 2009: 97 percent, 2010: 96 percent, 2011: 92 percent
- Stomach: 2006: 87 percent, 2007: 94 percent, 2008: 96 percent, 2009: 98 percent, 2010: 97 percent, 2011: 94 percent.
Coverage rate for quality of life form for patients diagnosed who are still alive one year after diagnosis.
- Diagnosis Oesophagus-2009: 86 percent
- Diagnosis Oesophagus-2010: 71 percent
- Diagnosis Oesophagus-2011: 78 percent
- Diagnosis Stomach-2009: 84 percent
- Diagnosis Stomach-2010: 77 percent
- Diagnosis Stomach-2011: 81 percent
References on validations
A validation process has begun.
Note: Variable lists are updated on a regular basis and should therefore be seen as preliminary. For the latest version, please contact the registry.