- Registry Manager: Västerbotten County Council
- Registry Centre - affiliation: Registry Centre North, RCN
- Start year: 1994
- Classifications used: ICD10, ICD9
- This registry contains data on: Pharmaceuticals, Diagnoses, Interventions, Primary Care, Inpatient Care, PROM or other patient-reported health effects, Risk Factors, Follow-up Data 3-5 months after the case is registered in the registry, Follow-up Data 12 months or later after the case is registered in the registry
Description of registry
Plans were initiated in 1992 to create a quality registry for stroke, a major widespread disease. A national expert group designed the contents of the registry. The variables were selected to reflect methods, processes and outcomes in stroke care. After testing, registration of acute stroke began in April 1994. Initially, 63 percent of the country’s hospitals participated. Since 1998, all hospitals in Sweden that treat acute stroke patients participate in the Swedish Stroke Register.
Registration of patients with stroke comprises the acute onset and a follow-up three months after onset. From 2009 onwards, Riksstroke also registers a one-year follow-up. The contents of the registry have been gradually expanded to include increasingly more variables. A TIA module was introduced in 2010, and a Paediatric Riksstroke module in 2016.
Categories of stroke patients who are today not covered by the registry and who we do not currently have intentions to include:
- patients who died outside the hospital
- patients who had a stroke at an institutional housing facility and were not transferred to a hospital emergency ward
- subarachnoid haemorrhage, hospital-treated.
Ages in the registry
Total volume of registry
Approximately 400,000 admissions since the start of the registry.
Volume over the past operating year
Approx. 23,000 patients with stroke, and 8000 patients with TIA.
References on validations
- Köster M, Asplund K, Johansson Å, Stegmayr B. Refinement of Swedish administrative registers to monitor stroke events on the national level. 2013;40(4):240-6.
- Appelros P, Terent A. Validation of the Swedish inpatient and cause-of-death registers in the context of stroke. Acta Neurol Scand. 2011;123:289-293.
- Söderholm A, Stegmayr B, Glader EL, Asplund K; Riksstroke Collaboration. Validation of Hospital Performance Measures of Acute Stroke Care Quality. Riksstroke, the Swedish Stroke Register. Neuroepidemiology. 2016 Mar 15;46(4):229-234
- Buchwald F, Ström JO, Norrving B, Petersson J. Validation of Diagnoses of Transient Ischemic Attack in the Swedish Stroke Register (Riksstroke) TIA-Module. Neuroepidemiology. 2015;45(1):40-3
- Asplund K, Hulter Åsberg K, Appelros P, Bjarne D, Eriksson M, Johansson A, Jonsson F, Norrving B, Stegmayr B, Terént A, Wallin S, Wester PO. The Riks-Stroke story: building a sustainable national register for quality assessment of stroke care. Int J Stroke. 2011 Apr;6(2):99-108.
Note: Variable lists are updated on a regular basis and should therefore be seen as preliminary. For the latest version, please contact the registry.