8 August 2019
Prenumerera på information från Nationella Kvalitetsregister

National Quality Registry for Gynaecological Surgery (GynOp)

  • Registry Manager: Västerbotten County Council
  • Registry Centre - affiliation: Registry Centre North, RCN
  • Start year: 1994
  • Classifications used: KVÅ, ICD10
  • This registry contains data on: Diagnoses, Interventions, Inpatient Care, Specialised Outpatient Care, PROM or other patient-reported health effects, Risk Factors, Follow-up Data 2 months after the case is registered in the registry, Follow-up Data 12 months or later after the case is registered in the registry

Description of registry

The National Quality Registry for Gynaecological Surgery (GynOp) is an organisation for seven independent cooperating registries, and includes all major surgeries in the area of gynaecology. There have been major changes in indications and surgery methods over the past ten years. Among these changes are increasingly shorter waiting times, an increase in outpatient surgeries and a greater use of implants. Tumour surgery is evolving toward more radical procedures.

Purpose: To provide the clinics with data for quality assurance, to monitor improvement measures over time, and to conduct research on collected data. The registry also aims to assist the clinics’ documentation procedures and the communication (questionnaire sent from surgeon to patient at 2 months and 1 year) between treating physicians and patients.


The registry includes all major gynaecological procedures: hysterectomies and other major surgeries on the uterus, such as myomectomy and uterus resection, adnexal procedures, gynaecological tumour surgery including vulvar tumours, hysteroscopy and endometrial ablation, as well as prolapse and incontinence surgery. Both inpatient and outpatient procedures are included.

Ages in the registry

All ages.

Total volume of registry

Approximately 240,000 patients, of which 31,000 hysteroscopies, 47,000 adnexal surgeries, 71,000 uterus surgeries, 48,000 prolapse surgeries, 26,000 incontinence surgeries, malignant tumours 14,000 and severe perineal rupture at birth 3, 000 . The subregistries for tumour, prolapse and incontinence surgeries were started in 2006 and perineal rupture 2015.

Volume over the past operating year

About 5,000 hysteroscopies,5,000 adnexal surgeries, 7,500 uterus surgeries, 6,000 prolapse surgeries, and 3,500 incontinence surgeries, malignant tumours 1500 and perineal ruptures 1,500. Approximately 30,000 patients.

Coverage rate

There are two registries in Sweden for gynaecological surgery: the Gynop registry, which is used in 75 percent of the country and the regional GynKvalitets-Registret (GKR), which is used in Stockholm, Värmland, and Gotland and accounts for the remaining 25 percent. Data from GKR is imported to the Gynop registry to provide nearly nationwide coverage. These procedures must, by law, be reported to a government registry. The coverage of GynOp is equivalent to that of the government registry.

References on validations

  • Löfgren M, Gabriel B, Ladfors M, Olsson J-H. Fynd i Svenska kvalitetsregistret för gynekologisk kirurgi avseende hysterektomi på benign indikation vid de deltagande klinkerna. Läkarsällskapets riksstämma, Hygea 1999 vol 108, pp 268.
  • Engh MA, Otterlind L, Stjerndahl JH, Lofgren M. Hysterectomy and incontinence: a study from the Swedish national register for gynecological surgery. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2006;85(5):614-8.
  • Pakbaz M, Mogren I, Lofgren M. Outcomes of vaginal hysterectomy for uterovaginal prolapse: a population-based, retrospective, cross-sectional study of patient perceptions of results including sexual activity, urinary symptoms, and provided care...BMC Womens Health. 2009 Apr 20;9(1):9. (Open journal)

Note: Variable lists are updated on a regular basis and should therefore be seen as preliminary. For the latest version, please contact the registry.

Category: Paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology

Certification level: 1

Read more

Hjälpte informationen på sidan dig?

Tack för att du hjälper oss!